Click here to view Oak’s weekly timetable
I hope you all had a fantastic Christmas and send all good wishes for the New Year! Below is some information that you will find very useful about what we will be covering this term within our curriculum.
Our topics for the Spring Term are:
‘Under The Sea’, ‘Earth And Space, ‘Titanic’, ‘and ‘Happy New Year!’
To begin the half term, the children will be settling back into school routine after the Christmas break. Our main topic for this half term will be ‘Under The Sea’. The children will learn about where the major oceans are, sea disasters, including the sinking of the Titanic and the tsunami of 2001. This topic will be heavily linked with Science and the children will study the animals that live in the ocean and their particular habitats.
We will continue to analyse a variety of text types in our guided reading sessions, looking at specific vocabulary and a range of grammar and punctuation elements to help us enhance our writing skills. We will be looking at higher order punctuation, such as semi colon, colon, dashes and hyphens. We will continue to look at different word classes, in particular determiners, definite articles and indefinite articles. We will be looking closely at non-chronological reports, letter writing and narrative.
Our work this term will include fractions (in particular the addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of fractions), decimals and percentages. We will explore shape – both 2d and 3d and their properties – and angles. We will continue to practise our problem solving skills through a range of mathematical topics. We appreciate your support with the learning of all times tables and key facts.
We will use a computer programme called ‘Scratch’ to create our own animations. We will also be practising our wider programming skills such as solving problems, testing, debugging, improving and evaluating. We will be practising our word processing skills. We will work to produce a multi-media presentation based upon sea creatures.
Our PE lessons are on a Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon (alternate weeks) and Friday afternoon each week. The children will need to have their indoor PE kits in school at all times. The Friday session, weather permitting, will be outdoors so children will need to bring a sweatshirt, jogging bottoms and trainers to wear outside. Shorts, t shirt and PE shoes/trainers will be required for indoor sessions. Football kits are not allowed to be worn for PE lessons, however, children are allowed to wear their football kit for Danny’s Football Club after school on a Friday.
Children are encouraged to bring a water bottle into school every day.
For health and safety reasons children ARE NOT permitted to wear any type of jewellery in school; including earrings, bracelets and wristbands. Watches may be worn, but must be removed for PE.
The children are encouraged to read at home as much as possible (every night would be great!) This will enable them to build and consolidate important reading skills, such as: reading speed and fluency, ability to analyse texts and make inferences. Please ask your child to write in their Reading Record when they have read.
As well as regular reading, the children should be practising their times tables often.
Homework will be set on a Friday and needs to be back to school for the following Thursday. Homework will include: –
- Maths or English to reinforce and consolidate work that has been done in school.
- Research to support cross-curricular topic work.
- Learning their Learning File (Year 6 children only)It is important that children hand work in on time as this promotes good habits for the future and means it can be marked before the next piece of work is set.
- BOOSTER and SATS
- Booster will begin on Wednesday 31st January and those children who are invited to attend will receive a letter. There will also be a SATS meeting for Year 6 parents on Monday 29th January at 3pm (more details to follow) which will give parents the opportunity to find out information, see exemplar SATS papers etc.
- Spellings will be given out on a Friday and tested the following Friday. The children will be given opportunity, during school time, to practise their spelling words and will use the words correctly in a sentence to show that they understand word meanings.
- If you have any problems or concerns, please do not hesitate to call in to see me or telephone school.
- I look forward to a great Spring term!
I am learning