Welcome back everyone! I hope everyone has had a fantastic Christmas holiday and you are feeling refreshed and ready to work! Below is some information that you will find very useful about what we will be covering this term within our curriculum.
Our topics for this term are:
‘Walk Like an Egyptian’, ‘Eco Week’, ‘Winter’ and ‘Extreme Earth’.
Throughout the first part of the term, we will be finding the location of Egypt and looking closely at how the Ancient Egyptians lived. We will be exploring the mummification process and the life of different Pharaohs as well as understanding the importance of how artefacts help us to find out about the past. In our Art and DT lessons, will be sketching and drawing the mask of Tutankhamun, as well as making 3D pyramids and sand pictures.
Throughout Eco-Week, we will be thinking carefully about how we can look after our planet and encourage others to do so too.
During the second half of the term, we will be focussing on our Extreme Earth topic. We will be looking closely at climate zones and natural disasters in Geography and volcanoes.
In English, we will be completing writing based round our topic including; a non- chronological report of Egyptian Pharaohs, instructions of how to make a mummy and a brochure persuading people to visit Egypt.
We will continue to look in depth at these genres in both guided reading and writing, analysing their specific vocabulary and looking at a range of grammar and punctuation. We will then apply newly learned skills to our writing.
Our work this term will include the four operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. We will be solving mathematical problems linked to our cross-curricular topics. Children will be problem-solving and encouraged to explain what they have done to reach an answer. We will be recapping names and properties of 2D and 3D shapes as well as looking at different types of angles. We will be looking at different measures including money. We will also complete further work on fractions including fractions of quantities and adding and subtracting fractions. The children would benefit from regular times table practice.
We will be using the school programme, ‘Purple Mash’, to consolidate our cross curricular learning. We will be enhancing our existing knowledge and understanding and developing our skills. We will look at algorithms and programming, as well as progression in technology and our lives.
Our indoor sessions are on a Monday and Tuesday afternoon (alternate weeks) and our outdoor session takes place on a Friday afternoon every week. The children’s PE Kit must consist of shorts, a t shirt and PE shoes/trainers for indoor and they will need a sweatshirt, jogging bottoms and trainers to wear outside.
It would be a good idea for the children to keep their indoor kit in school at all times.
Chestnut will be swimming again this term every day for two weeks beginning Monday 4th September; therefore a swimming kit should be provided this must include: a towel, swimming shorts/costume and a swimming cap. Please label all clothing with your child’s name.
Children are encouraged to bring a water bottle into school every day.
For health and safety reasons children ARE NOT permitted to wear any type of jewellery, including earrings, bracelets and wristbands. Watches may be worn, but must be removed for PE.
This will be set during the week to be completed for the following Thursday. This may include: –
- Maths or English to reinforce and consolidate work that has been done in school or to prepare for work that will be covered the following week.
- Research to support cross-curricular topic work.
- The children are encouraged to read at home as much as possible (every night would be great!).
- Please sign the Reading Record to show when your child has read. I will sign and write weekly after each guided reading session.
- Reading comprehension. The children would benefit from sharing and discussing their reading extracts with an adult before answering questions based on what they have read.
- Spellings will be given out on Thursday and tested the following Thursday. The children will practise using the words correctly in a sentence to show that they understand word meanings. If anyone is available to come in and help, either as a one off or on a more regular basis, please let me know. We really appreciate your support. I look forward to the new Spring term!
Please find Chestnut Spring Timetable below: