Article 28: Every child has the right to an education
Intent: What we are trying to achieve in our curriculum?
At Kirklevington Primary School we believe that Design & Technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject that encourages children to learn to think and intervene creatively to solve problems both as individuals and as members of a team. We encourage our children to question and think innovatively about the world around them in order to design and develop their own products which they then feel confidant to critically reflect upon. We want our children to work in a range of relevant contexts and to make links between design and other disciplines such as mathematics, science, computing and art.
Design and Technology is delivered through a variety of creative and practical activities. Our aim is to teach the knowledge, skills and understanding required in the process of designing and making. We want our children to work in a range of relevant contexts.
The planning of learning is supported by a clear skills and knowledge progression. Lessons will focus on developing skills and children working as designers and makers, ensuring that those taught skills and knowledge are built on year by year and sequenced appropriately to maximise learning for all children. We aim to increase cultural capital for our children through real life experiences, learning about design history in an active and creative way (Trips, visiting experts, utilising local heritage will all enhance the learning experience). We aim to provide opportunities for children to learn as designers and makers, using research based on primary and secondary sources. Links to other subject areas will continue to be explored. Through this implementation, we intend to inspire pupils and practitioners to develop a love of design and technology and see how it has shaped the world they live in.
Our aim is to ensure that our children have:
- The ability to research, analyse, plan, design and make, as well as discuss and evaluate products.
- Communicate ideas and designs skilfully and accurately in 2D and 3D, using a variety of techniques, including computing.
- A securer knowledge and understanding of materials and equipment.
- A deeper understanding and growing awareness of design history and how products have moved forward and shaped the world today.
- Understand the importance of nutrition, a balanced diet and about the characteristics of a broad range of ingredients in choosing and preparing food.